Lent begins Feb 14 with the Ash Wednesday Service at 12 noon & 7 PM in the Chapel. Ashes, prayer, hymns. Lent is the 6 week period leading up to Easter on April 1st. It is a time for turning back to God.
- Give up taking a plastic bag at check out. It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Instead, carry whatever reusable bag works for you.
- Give up bottled water. Not only does it come in plastic, but tremendous resources are used to extract, bottle, and ship it. Instead, try a reusable stainless steel bottle.
- Have you already committed to the above? Then consider these:
- Give up drinking straws. Ask that you not be given a straw when ordering a drink.
- Give up plastic bags for produce and bulk items at the grocery store. Carry reusable mesh bags instead.
You might start with one thing and add an additional fast plastic each week of Lent.
Daily Devotionals are available at the back of the Sanctuary. "Lovers and Fools" comes from the Still Speaking Writers Group which is composed of United Church of Christ ministers and authors.
Faith Practices for Families is also available at the back of the church. It adresses the three pillars of Lent; prayer, fasting, and almsgiving offering a daily practice for families to do together. Ideas are adapted from Faithful Families by Traci Smith.
Lectio Divina, ancient spiritual practice, Feb 22, March 8 & 22, 7:15 PM in the Chapel
Palm Sunday - March 25, 10:00 AM Children's Choir and distribution of palms
Maundy Thursday - March 29, 6:15 Dinner Church
Good Friday - March 30, Guided Stations of the Cross at 12:00 noon and 7:00 PM, with music & visuals